It started as a normal day — that is I woke up, brushed my teeth and washed my face. Then I got dressed and went downstairs. I even started the coffee. Normal day — then things changed.
I put the code in to cancel our house alarm. It didn’t work. I put the code in again with the same results. I got my glasses to make sure I was pressing the right numbers. Oops, Nope!
I drink 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar in warm water with honey every morning. I don’t know what happened — the glass spilled, contents all over everywhere — countertop, open dishwasher, floor. MESS!
I had thought about going to a funeral that morning. I was concerned about the weather conditions, the church was a few miles from our home. After the fun I was already having, I thought I would stay safely at home.
I needed to make an appointment for a fasting blood test and phoned for an appointment. After listening to their recorded announcement, I was referred to another phone number. I called the next number. After listening to their recorded announcement, I learned their computer system was down for repairs.
I had received a bill from our mortgage company and was concerned that we weren’t getting full credit for our payments. I phoned, the recorded message stated they had a high volume of calls, it would be a 10 minute wait or I could ask for a return call. I put our number in for a return phone call. A professional woman returned my call whose voice I could understand. I explained my problem and she tried to access our account on her computer. That is when I learned that their computer system was having problems. She suggested I wait until later in the day and phone again. After the fun I was having that morning, I really didn’t think so.
The day proceeded normally. It was cold outside. Our second floor was warmer than the first so I went upstairs. I returned at 4:00 and sat down on the couch to watch a program. I felt cold, even though I was dressed warmer for downstairs. My feet felt cold even though I had on socks and slippers. That is when I realized my ears and nose felt cold. In our downstairs bathroom, exposed pipes push the hot water upstairs. The pipes were cold. I looked at the thermostat and saw a message I couldn’t read. Yelling for help from my husband and son, I learned the message was low battery. Batteries replaced. The furnace started. The temperature read 62 degrees.
We were having chicken soup for supper that was already made. Hat on my head, I returned upstairs to wait for the house to warm up.
When I had learned of the passing of our friend who was 98. I was sad — I wouldn’t hear anymore of her stories. I wonder if “my friends in high places” were joined by many others to celebrate a life well lived. I sent a card remarking on her legacy. I think there was a lot of rejoicing, celebrating her life at that funeral that day.
When I wrote about the challenges I faced that Saturday to our children, I had forgotten the spilled apple cider vinegar. I was reminded on Sunday morning when the same thing happened again!.